People. Planet. Water.
Respect for the environment is deeply embedded in the culture at TOTO. We continually strive to be a leader in environmental sustainability. In addition to reducing our products’ energy and water consumption, our initiatives span from operations to transportation, to building a culture of conservation.
Operations & Maintenance
- All TOTO facilities are ISO 9001:2015 (Quality) and ISO 14001:2015 (Environmental) certified
- Imperfect and damaged china is upcycled by grinding it to powder for use in the manufacture of tile
- In 2020, TOTO USA sent nearly 27 metric tons of commingled waste, 180 metric tons of cardboard, and 84 metric tons of scrap metal to recycling instead of landfills
- TOTO recycles post-industrial gray water for wash-down during production, reducing potable water consumption
- Kilns use pulse-fire technology. The exhaust heat from the firing process is reused in the drying room
- Green electricity is purchased from Georgia Power, some of which comes from gas-fired generators that use methane produced at the local landfill
- TOTO USA is an EPA SmartWay Partner. We actively work to improve our corporate supply chain freight transportation by reducing the environmental footprint of our products. Our goal is to help pave the way for a cleaner, more fuel-efficient future.
- We currently utilize FedEx for all outbound freight shipments. FedEx is committed to achieving carbon neutrality by 2040.
- Employees are encouraged to bring their recyclables to TOTO plants if the city where they live does not provide recycling services
- Water and electricity use at TOTO offices is reduced to a minimum
- TOTO was the first plumbing products manufacturer to have employees become sustainability experts by gaining LEED Accredited Professional status
By voluntarily powering its Morrow manufacturing facility with renewable green energy, TOTO USA helps to achieve Clean Air Act requirements and support the development of renewable energy generation nationwide, while helping to protect the environment. Over the years, we have steadily increased our Green Power use.
In 2013, TOTO USA became an EPA Green Power Partner.
In 2017, TOTO USA won the EPA’s Green Power Leadership Award for becoming the first large-volume participant in Georgia Power’s Simple Solar Program, meeting 100% of its energy needs from the purchase of Renewable Energy Credits (RECs) from certified solar power resources. At that time, TOTO USA purchased over 12 million kWh of green power per year.
Today, our Morrow Plant uses 103% green energy.
TOTO sees its commitment to green energy as a means to become more sustainable and demonstrate to corporations across the United States that supporting green power is a sound business decision that can help reduce air pollution and other emissions.